Did you know that we’re already in hurricane season? The afternoon rain storms have begun, and a hurricane could appear at any time. In Central Florida, we’re no strangers to these intense storms – but we should also know how to be ready for them. Preparation for a hurricane involves protecting your family, your house – but what about your car? You’ve invested a lot of money into your Orlando used car, why should you leave it to be damaged by a hurricane? Protect your car with hurricane prep tips from Toyota of Clermont!
Used Car Hurricane Prep
Hurricane force winds and hurricane rains can cause serious damage to large buildings and structures – imagine what they can do to your car! To prevent this, take steps to protect your car from hurricane damages, like:
- Park your car under cover. Protect it from falling trees, poles and other flying debris.
- Tie down a tarp over it. If you can’t park it under a structure, use a tarp to protect the exterior from storm debris.
- Put tape on the glass. Tape will help prevent the windows and windshields from completely shattering. The tap can also help make the clean up process quicker.
Take time to confirm that your Orlando used car’s insurance policy covers natural disasters. It’s also a good idea to take pictures of your vehicle before the storm. These photos can be helpful if you have to make a claim to your insurance company because of hurricane damages.
Toyota of Clermont’s safe driving tips for hurricane weather
Protecting your car for hurricanes only comes in handy if you’re staying put for the storm. However, riding out the storm in your house isn’t always an option. If the storm is intense enough, you might have to evacuate the area. If this is the case, you should have your car ready to leave at any moment! Prepping for evacuating for a storm in your Orlando used car involves:
- Packing a go-bag. Prepare a bag with supplies like a flashlight, medications, bottled water, phone charger, etc.
- Having a full tank of gas. You may have to drive a long distance or idle for a long period of time in traffic.
- Planning a route (and an alternate). Make sure you know where you’re going and how you’re going to get to safety.
- Determine a place to stay. Plan to stop at a hotel or a friend’s residence to stay at while evacuating.
If you’re stuck driving in hurricane weather, use defensive driving techniques to keep yourself and your passengers safe. Stay alert and stay aware of your surroundings. Keep your eye out for and avoid any debris in the road, downed wires or poles, and puddles of water. These all possess their own dangers that can cause your Orlando used car problems and put your safety at risk.
Make sure you have a plan and you’re prepared for hurricane season because it’s here. For more tips on how to prep your car, visit our used car dealership in Orlando! We’re located at 16851 State Road 50, between the Florida Turnpike and Highway 27!