Your old car is a goner, and you’re stretched for cash when it comes to buying a new ride. A pre-owned car is the perfect solution, and you can easily find the one you’re looking for by shopping from private sellers. Looking through ads and online posts for pre-owned cars being sold by private sellers is easy and convenient, but buying from them can be risky. If you want to buy an Orlando used car from a private seller, it’s important that you know what questions to ask!
Questions for a used car private seller
Before you organize a time to meet the seller and see the Orlando used car in person, you should do some research! Look up the specific car’s vehicle history report. Take note of any reported accident damage and the recorded amount of mileage. You should also research the make, model and year of the car you’re looking at to see if it has had any recalls or if a lot of drivers face the same common issues. This is a great way to weed out options on whether the car is going to be reliable or not.
So you’ve found a car that meets your criteria and your budget, but is it going to be a ride that’s your worth your money? Before you hand over the cash, you should ask the private seller a handful of important questions! These questions include:
- “Are you the original owner of the car?” – if the seller is the only one to have owned the car, there is less discrepancy in its history.
- “What condition is the car in?” – while the overall condition may be obvious to the eye, there could be issues that are unseen. Ask if there are any problems with the car, and address each one that is brought up.
- “How many miles does the car have?” -compare what the odometer and seller says to the recorded mileage on the vehicle history report. You should also ask how the miles were put on, because highway miles are less harmful to the car’s engine.
- “Has the car ever been in an accident?” – if there was any accident damage that needed repairs, ask for auto repair receipts and records of warranties.
- “Why are you selling the car?” -if the reason for selling the car seems suspicious, you should seek out a different used car in Orlando to buy.
Shop with no risk at Toyota of Clermont!
Buying a used car from a private seller can be nerve-wracking because you don’t know for sure if you’re getting a quality car. When you shop at Toyota of Clermont, you can rest easy knowing all of our pre-owned cars have been put through a 160-point safety inspection by our expert auto service technicians. In addition to an extensive inspection, each Orlando used car on our lot comes with a FREE vehicle history report so there’s no question about where this car came from!
For more car shopping tips or to peruse our pre-owned car selection, just come by! Visit Toyota of Clermont at 16851 State Road 50, between the Florida Turnpike and Highway 27!